Saturday, May 27, 2017

An Open Letter to Reese Witherspoon

Dear Ms. Witherspoon,

A few months ago, you were featured on one of those entertainment media TV shows such as The Insider, or Entertainment Tonight. It was the 20th anniversary of your career. Congratulations, by the way.

At one point, you were explaining to the interviewer how you got into the film production business. You said that you were having trouble finding a role that fit you at that particular point in your life in and your career. You said that you read the book, Wild by Cheryl Strayed and that you felt such a connection to the role that you bought the movie rights and you produced it. And now you have a production company and you make films.

Then, you turned directly into the camera and you said to the viewing audience, "So send me your books." Those were your exact words. I'm not making this up.

So I sent you my book. And imagine my surprise when I received it back, unopened, marked "Refused" on the front.

I took a lot of time to craft a query letter that had all the information I felt you needed to make a decision about whether to read the book or not, and I left out the fluff. I spoke about the 5-star reviews I have on Amazon and the testimonials that people have written. I tried to keep it tight and to the point so as not to waste your time. You are, after all, a very busy woman.

Now I know that movie production houses don't accept unsolicited books. I've search them on the Internet and they all say the same thing: that I need to be represented by a literary agent. However, you asked for my book. You told me to send it, so I thought, at the very least, you would open the package, read the letter, and review my book. At least if you did that and you turned it down, I would feel like I had had a fair shot.

Ms. Witherspoon, you are one of my favorite actresses. I loved you in Legally Blondes 1 and 2, I loved you in Sweet Home Alabama and Walk the Line. And I really loved you in Wild. But I feel, in this case, since you point blank asked for books, that you're not being fair.

I respectfully request that you at least look at my book, In Fashion's Web. I do think it would make a good Hallmark or Lifetime-style movie. Of course, everyone probably says that.

But under the circumstances, since you invited me to send my book, I would appreciate it if you would at least give it a chance.

Thank you for listening.
Lynn


No comments:

Post a Comment