Friday, August 16, 2019

"Becoming" by Michelle Obama Is Very Moving


This book kept me on the edge of my seat starting at page 1. And my first thought as I was reading Becoming is that even if I didn't know who wrote it, it still would have had me on the edge of my seat from page 1. A word that kept coming to my mind as I was reading it was gripping.

It starts out talking about Michelle's childhood on the south side of Chicago. She very eloquently describes the neighborhood, her family, her school, her friends, her talents and hobbies, and her likes and dislikes. After just a few chapters it's very easy to get a sense that you actually know Michelle Obama because the detail is so easy to visualize. You feel like an insider in both her life and in the neighborhood in which she lived.

About a third of the way into the book, she tells us how she met Barack, which I was very excited to read and was looking forward to. Interestingly, though, it's not all roses from the first meeting. In fact, she pulls no punches about noting that her first impression was not all that impressive.

From there until the end, it's a whirlwind. She let's us in on their relationship and how it developed, and how the former president of the United States' career began and developed. If you are one of those people who have always wondered how in the heck did he get from state senator to presidential candidate, Michelle's perspective makes sense of it and if you're like me, you will realize early on that he had a special gift.

She goes on to describe from her point of view the family's eight years in the White House, not only the initiatives she put together, but also how the family was affected, how being trailed by Secret Service everywhere and never being able to step out into the front yard without clearing the street first changed their lives.

You can clearly see through Michelle's words that with all that influence and power comes a lack of freedom.

This is a book that is both moving and educating. It will fill in gaps where you might have had questions throughout POTUS' tenure, but from a personal point of view, not a business or presidential point of view, which makes it more endearing.

I highly recommend this book to all.

If you like a good book that keeps you on your toes and surprises you at every turn, please check out my novel, In Fashion's Web on Amazon. It has 11 5-star reviews!


2 comments:

  1. I agree. This is a great read. Michelle has an innate gift for telling a story. I'm half way through "Becoming" and am thoroughly enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete