Saturday, October 22, 2016

First-Time Writer? Start by Writing for Free

If you want to be a professional writer and you don't yet have a portfolio, start by writing for free. 

Most young people have the option of working for their high school or college paper. But what if you didn't go to college or your high school didn't have a newspaper?

There are plenty of other opportunities for building your portfolio by writing for free. 

I got my first writing opportunity for our company newspaper when I was a secretary in my twenties. Later, as a sales rep for a radio station, I volunteered to write articles for the local radio station association's newsletter. Then I started to pick up some paid freelancing gigs. They didn't pay much, but the recognition of having my byline on an article was priceless. 

My big break came when I was a production coordinator for a direct marketing company. I actually took over the company newsletter and became its editor. I also built up experience using design tools by doing the layout myself. 

All of these did wonders for my career. Just by the mere fact that I was able to put on my resume that I was Editor of the IMP company newsletter, and that I had a robust portfolio of clippings, I got a full-time job as an editor. After two years on that job, I got a better job. And after five years with that company, I got an even better job. All because I started to build my portfolio by working for free. 

Today, you can find lots of free writing opportunities on Craigslist. Of course, be careful and discriminating about the ads you respond to. Only respond to legitimate companies, and pass on the ones that have no digital paper trail to speak of. 

Before you know it, you'll be on your way!

Please check out my novel, In Fashion's Web on Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment