Saturday, October 22, 2016

Great Books Teach Writers Great Lessons

I just finished reading A Woman of Substance and I loved it. I couldn't put it down. Barbara Taylor Bradford's epic tome kept me on the edge of my seat for all 868 pages.

But when you're a writer, you tend to read with a different eye than someone who reads strictly for enjoyment. I found myself analyzing the structure of the book -- the way Ms. Bradford weaved in characters or advanced her story lines. 

As a writer myself, I found myself saying, OK, this is where Emma needs to get her first break in life, or this spot would be perfect for a love scene. As someone who writes novels myself, it's beneficial to peel back the onion on other writer's books to see how they achieve certain aspects of their story line, especially if it's a feature that held my rapt attention. 

The best parts though, are the ones that I didn't predict -- the ones where I said, wow, I never would have thought of that!

Do you find yourself doing that when you read? Do you analyze the book as well as enjoy it? It's a great way to learn and to hone your writing technique. It is literally a free lifelong education. 

Which books have you learned the most from and what specifically have you learned? Tweet your reply to @lynnrussowhylly. 

Please check out my novel, In Fashion's Web on Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment