Saturday, October 22, 2016

Why Do We Care about the Story of a Person We've Never Met?

I took Wild by Cheryl Strayed out of the library today. And all the way home I was wondering, why do I want to read this woman's story? From the answer to that question, I was hoping to find the answer to my next question. Why would anyone want to read my story?

Actually, I think my story is kind of interesting, but the fact remains, I'm a nobody. Why would anyone be interested in what happened to me? And then I'm reminded of Frank McCort, who wrote Angela's Ashes. He was a nobody and his book became a best seller. Of course, his story took place during a critical time in Ireland's history when the country was in a major depression, so his book brings history to life. That's enough of a reason to read it, I suppose. 

So what is it about people's stories that draw readers in? What is it that draws me in? And why did I want to read Wild? I had seen bits and pieces of the movie, but not the whole movie. And I decided that I had wanted to hear the whole story from beginning to end in her voice. But why? Was it sheer curiosity? 

I suppose curiosity about how a woman could traverse an 1,100 mile trail by herself carrying an 80-pound backpack could get people's attention. There's also the fact, for me at least, that I happen to really like Reese Witherspoon, who played Cheryl Strayed in the movie, and so I could say that it was Reese who captured my attention. If the director had chosen an unknown woman for the part, it's possible I would have skipped right over the movie and had no interest in it all. 

The other thing that drew me in, I think, is that Strayed is a fellow author. So in a way I feel a kind of kinship to her, and I guess I wanted to see if we had anything in common. In most ways, I'm finding, we are complete opposites. But there is at least one  thing I can relate to: losing my mother. 

So I started reading the book because I wanted to know her story. And the deeper I get into her story, I want to know more. Now, I have so many questions for her I'm certain I will not find the answer to when I get to the end of the book. Which, by the way, blatantly leaves her open for a sequel.

For instance, did she ever do heroine again? Did she reunite with Paul? Or Joe? Or someone completely new? Was she able to settle down with anyone at all? Which, by the way, all these questions actually are answered at the end of the book.

And, of course, now I want to read the novels she's written to see if Wild, which is very well written, was just blind luck or if she really is a good writer. 

Finally, I realized, that for anyone to be interested in my story, I have do what Cheryl Strayed did for me. Give the reader something they can't get anywhere else, captivate them with shocking details like I do with my fiction, and make them ask for more. 

With #InFashionsWeb, people are always asking me, "Are you writing a sequel?" I really want to know what happens to Kara and Allison next." My friend Dara even asked me for a prequel because she wanted to know what happened first. 

Perhaps the thing I got most of all out of reading Wild is that if Cheryl can do it, I can do it. And I don't have to hike 1,100 miles alone in a dangerous place to draw in readers. I just have to make it interesting.

Please check out my novel, In Fashion's Web on Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment