Saturday, October 22, 2016

My Life was More Fulfilled Because of Our Bookmobile

Some of my best childhood memories involve the weekly bookmobile. Every Wednesday, the bookmobile arrived a couple of blocks from our home and I was so excited to get in there and look at those wall-t0-wall, floor-to-ceiling books. Every week, I left with an armload and couldn't wait to get home and start reading them. On a non-school day, I could finish a 300 to 400 page book in one day.

Books were particularly influential to my early teen years and without the bookmobile, I would not have had that opportunity. Also, who knows what I would have gotten into or how I might have strayed without the influence of books from our local bookmobile. 

This bus-turned-library on wheels is critical for any neighborhood, particularly those that are far from the library. In areas with families of small children and where people are most likely to walk or take the bus, it helps connect people to the world outside their neighborhood. 

If you have a child and there is a bookmobile in your neighborhood, I highly recommend it. Even with iPads and e-book readers and televisions and the Internet, browsing through all those book binders and holding books in your hand, for a child, is like taking a trip to fantasy land. 

Your library's website can tell you whether the facility runs a bookmobile, and if so, what neighborhoods it goes to and when. If you can't find anything online, call your local library and ask. Bring the library to you by visiting your local bookmobile today!

Please check out my novel, In Fashion's Web on Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment